ProStart Culinary State Competition

/ Sunday, March 8, 2015

Last week I participated in the state ProStart Culinary Invitational. The experience was amazing and I had such a great time!

So, the competition was between 10 teams. We had to cook a three course meal in one hour. But get this, we didn't have electricity. We only had two gas burners (essentially two stove tops). Everything else had to be done by hand in one hour. It was not only stressful, but seemingly impossible. However, my team of four pulled through and we made some amazing dishes.



My team and I prepping our station... as you can tell we are not very organized cooks :)







So I was in charge of the dessert, two people were in charge of the appetizer, and one person was in charge of the entree. (Shown below)



Our appetizer was a salmon cake with apple fennel slaw and harissa aioli (bottom left), our entree was a maple lamb shank with butternut squash, kale, and fragola saute (top), and our dessert was a chocolate panna cotta with rosemary salted caramel sauce, raspberry coulis, bruleed chocolate filled raspberry, candied hazelnuts, and a sugar spike garnish (bottom right).


To pull all that off we had to co-ordinate our every move and every ingredient. It was a crazy experience actually cooking it at the competition as well. While cooking our entree, the wine cork broke and we had to find something to use to push it into the bottle, I also had to gather all my extra sugar after I forgot to reserve some from the sauce for the sugar spike.


In the end, we didn't place, but our food got a ton of attention from cooking a lamb shank in one hour.


My dessert was highly praised and the chef told me he had tasted Sous Chef try-outs that didn't taste as good as what I had done! That of course was amazing to hear and made the experience all the more worthwhile.


Interested in knowing more? Check out the ProStart website!


Also, I made fortune cookies this week, but I'm not sure if I have time for pictures so I hope I can get those up sometime soon!

No comments

Post a Comment

The Sunday Pastry. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.