Apple Coffee Cake

/ Monday, February 16, 2015

It has been a few week's since the last post because I've been working on creating a dessert for the ProStart competition I've been talking about! The competition is in two weeks and our menu is really coming together. I will be sure to post pictures of our final projects after we compete!

I also went to a great restaurant in Minneapolis last night called Victory 44 and tried their chocolate textures dessert. It had your standard chocolate mousse, chocolate ice cream, chocolate shavings, ect. But then, it incorporated caramelized white chocolate powder, which was an amazing concept I had never seen before.

I also drove over to the University of Minnesota to visit my sister, and she took me to an Asian grocery store called United Noodle. However, it was quite a walk from her dorm, made even longer by the 4 degree weather. Not to mention my calves cramped up and I was slipping on ice left and right making a downright fool of myself. But it was well worth it because I now have ice cream mochi in my freezer and am drinking a home-made bubble tea while writing this post.



So for the dessert this week I wanted something I could make last night and eat for breakfast this morning because it's President's Day and I didn't have school. So, I found a very interesting cake recipe that would make a perfect breakfast!


**This cake batter is more like a dough. It also doesn't rise so fill the springform pan all the way to the top!




Apple Coffee Cake

For the cake:3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
6 oz butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 large apples (your favorite kind, I used honey crisp)
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
sugar
Grease and flour a 9" round springform pan. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg into a large mixing bowl. Make sure the bowl is large enough to allow room for the apples to be folded in. Cut the butter into the flour using your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the sugar to the flour mixture and mix in. Peel the apples and slice them into large uniform pieces. Toss the apples into the flour mixture and combine them thoroughly. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Add to the apples and flour and mix in with a large spatula until just combined. Batter will be thick and dough-like. Transfer the dough into the prepared cake pan and flatten the top surface using the back of your spatula. Generously sprinkle the sugar over the top of the cake. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Test the center for doneness. The top of the cake should be golden brown.



That's it! It's a great recipe and I hope you enjoy!
Until next week!

No comments

Post a Comment

The Sunday Pastry. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.