Red Velvet Cake

/ Sunday, October 26, 2014

Last weekend, I was up at my cabin for a family friend's birthday. Of course, for pastry people like myself, that means it's time to whip out the turntable and create a cake.
I made this red velvet cake this summer, and didn't get around to posting it (like many other things recently... oops). So I decided to go back to it, as this was our family friend's favorite cake.

 Just a nice picture of the view from my cabin.

The original recipe calls for halved raspberries in filling between the layers of cake. So, I put a half pint of raspberries on the grocery list. To my frustrating dismay, every single one was a grey-ish red with some mold specks. I just then remembered that raspberries are not in season. This brings me to another point many people tent to forget: when developing and recipe with fresh ingredients, it's so important to know whats in season. So, setting the raspberries aside, I continued with a traditional red velvet cake. It was an instant favorite!


Red Velvet Cake

Adapted from: Bon Appetit

For the cake:
2 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbs cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbs red food coloring
1 tsp distilled white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut a two 9 inch round of parchment to fit in the bottom of two 9-inch-diameter round cake pans. Butter and flour the bottom of each, then place the parchment paper at the bottom of both and butter and flour the parchment. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. In another medium bowl whisk buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla to combine. With a handheld electric mixer beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs one at a time. Beat in dry ingredients in thirds, alternating with buttermilk mixture. Divide batter between the two pans.

For the Frosting:
2 8oz packaged cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 Tbs vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Using a handheld electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter together in a large bowl. Beat in vanilla and sugar until smooth.

For the Assembly:
blueberries (optional)
powdered sugar (optional)

Place cake layer, bottom side down onto turntable (or work surface, but if you don't have a turntable I would suggest you should get one). Spread approximately 1 cup of frosting on this layer. Place the next cake layer top side down and spread remaining frosting on the top and sides of cake.

For help with frosting a cake here is a great video. (The frosting starts at 22:15) You can skip a crumb coat if you want, but I never do because a crumb coat makes the cake look cleaner. If you are worried about running out of frosting just make a double batch!




So, I hope you enjoy this late post! The cake is always a favorite and I highly recommend it for birthdays. I have another post coming your way this week, so stay tuned!


No comments

Post a Comment

The Sunday Pastry. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.