Halloween Candy Corn Cookies

/ Thursday, October 17, 2013

So, last week I promised a Halloween recipe. Now, I know this really jumped the gun, but I decided to make them on Wednesday, as I will be baking at my cabin on Sunday.
I decided not to go the tradition pie route, and after noticing there was so many things with pumpkin in them all over the Internet, I decided I couldn't go that route either. I remembered a cookie book I got last year, and it proved to be the jackpot. I found a great butter cookie recipe that is super easy to make into really cute candy corn cookies. It also makes a ton for one batch so it is perfect for parties!
I myself brought them to school, and they were eaten up right away!


Halloween Candy Corn Cookies

Yields: 4 dozen
Adapted From: taste of home: Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter softened
1 cup brown sugar*
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Yellow and orange (or red to make orange) gel of paste coloring

In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture as well.
Divide the dough in half. Tint one portion yellow. Divide the remaining dough into two-thirds and one-third portions. Color the larger portion orange, and leave the smaller portion white.
Shape each portion of dough into one 8 inch log, and then cut them lengthwise with a sharp knife to create two 8 inch logs for every color. Flatten the top, and push the side in a slight angle. Place orange logs on top of yellow logs; push the sides at a angle. Tops with the white logs; form a rounded top. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Unwrap and cut into 1/2 inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Remove and cool on pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.



*The brown sugar gives the cookies so much more flavor, however, the colors of the cookie wont be as bright. If you want very neon-colored cookies substitute white sugar. Note, however that you will be giving up flavor.


Happy Baking!

No comments

Post a Comment

The Sunday Pastry. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.