Key-Lime Pie

/ Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hi all! As you all know this month's theme, traditional Mexican desserts, was inspired by the wonderful chefs I met during my trip to Mexico. In fact, it is their recipes that I am basing mine off of now. I would love to make the recipes exactly the way they did, but we don't carry all the same products they used here in the USA. That, and many of the recipes they gave me were simply a list of ingredients, but no complaints there. I enjoyed fooling around in the kitchen making up my own steps.

Also I have been thinking about calling up some different bakeries to see if I could get a part-time job there for this summer. Now I know it's probably a long shot, but it wouldn't hurt to give a few local bakeries a call.

Another thing. My birthday came around last Wednesday and for it, I got Adobe Lightroom 4! I was extremely excited to start using it, but then our main computer crashed. This would unfortunately happen to be where all my photo viewing software is too, so there is no way I can get photos to you now, but they are coming soon!

So this week is key-lime pie. This dessert was served to us on the first night we got into Mexico, and it really stood out to me. The crust was extremely different than what you usually see in a key-lime pie. It was almost gelatinous in its consistency and was very sweet. I instantly fell head over heels for it, making it what I wanted to recreate most back in my kitchen. So, here you have it...

***Update: The computer is running and the pictures are here!***



Key-Lime Pie 

Based on the recipe from Chef Louis at Casa Gordon
Serves: 8

For the crust:
1 cup crushed vanilla biscuit cookie
100 ml milk
1 egg

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and stir until combined. Evenly spread mixture on the bottom of a 9" pie plate. Bake for about 15 min, or until the crust is slightly puffing upwards.
Cool completely.


For the Pie Filling: 
3 cups condensed milk
1cup lime fresh lime juice (about 8 limes)
1 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
2/3 cup half and half
15g gelatin
2 tablespoons water

Keeping oven at 350 degrees F, place water in a small dish and sprinkle over gelatin. Let stand for 5 min. Bring half and half to a simmer, add in the gelatin, and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool. Combine condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and the cooled half and half mixture into a large bowl. Stir until combined. Pour mixture into pie plate over the now cool crust. Bake just until the pie is set. (About 5 to 8 min.)
Cool completely.

For the Meringue: 
5 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
A small drizzle of lime juice

Keep the oven at 350 degrees F. Whip egg whites with a handheld beater. Once the whites start to get frothy, slowly add sugar and cream of tartar as you whip. Continue to whip until medium peaks form. Quickly fold in the lime juice and add the meringue to the top of the now cooled pie. To add, place meringue in a circle around the edge, the smooth it with an offset spatula until it just touches the edge of the pie plate. Place the remaining meringue in the center, creating a large mound. Smooth with spatula. * Place in the oven and bake until the top of the meringue is a medium brown. (About 15 to 20 min)

*If you want peaks, take the back of a spoon, set it on the meringue and pull up.






No comments

Post a Comment

The Sunday Pastry. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.